Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's Like Christmas!

I know I have said it before but every time a truck pulls in here to unload I feel like it is Christmas time. I love seeing the new plants. Now, of course this means I have a whole new batch of things to learn about- what likes sun, what likes shade, what needs to be watered daily, what needs to wait, how tall this will grow, etc... I could go on and on, but I love it and am not complaining. Who knew when I stopped the "corporate world" and entered the "garden world" that I would enjoy it so much. I knew I would like it, but never did I imagine how much. Today I got something called a Shrimp Plant. How cool is that???? Who knew there was a plant called a Shrimp Plant, and well, if you have seen it, you understand the name- it looks like big jumbo shrimp hanging off this plant. Hysterical. We do not grow that one here so it was a total new thing for me to learn along with a few others we got in. I love unloading and seeing all the new things, deciding what is going to go where; what blends best next to what; what is a good compliment to line it up next to. Then comes my second favorite part, picking what I want to go plant.
Right now we are in the process of building some beds so I am planning my next two gardens but I have it all set in my head. I can't wait. I make my daily rounds and see how everyone is doing, snap a few pictures of the butterflies, dragonflies, bees, praying mantis, beetles, lizards, grass hoppers, lady bugs, you name it, I take their picture. I still have not captured the hummingbird- I have lots of shots of a blur but nothing you can make out what it is. As of late I have seen this one dragonfly that is red. He is so cool looking and he follows me. It is so funny. He literally follows me but when I snap his picture I get nothing. Just a red blur. One person told me it was a hummingbird dragonfly.... hummmm..... I know I am new to all this but I am not sure I am buying that one.... but who knows- maybe they exist.
Ever heard of one?
I am going to post a picture of the Shrimp Plant- it might be common to a lot of people but to me I just thought it was one of the coolest things! I will also post my little ladybug I found today. She just sat there while I snapped. I get those all the time but normally they are on me and pictures of a ladybug on me aren't that exciting so I finally got one on a plant. She was hanging out on an expired Salvia bloom. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment