Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Visitors


I have had some new visitors to the nursery the last few days- the Painted Bunting amongst my favorites.  I saw this bird and thought it was the female Painted Bunting, but after looking her up, she isn't as green as it seems the female is, so I have no idea what type of bird she is but she is really sweet looking.  A bird expert I am not nor do I pretend to be.  I got a few photos of her through the glass- she was right outside where the Painted Bunting male likes to hang out in the afternoons.  I have not been able to get more shots of him though I am not giving up.  


The hummingbirds are still out in full force- they live in the oak tree at the front of the nursery.  They swoop down and are in love with the black and blue salvia- they "try" other things but always go back to the salvia.  

I have all sorts of grasshoppers, walking sticks, preying mantis but this little grasshopper I thought was neat as his coloring was unique, at least to me.

And here is my little surprise that is growing like a weed- a watermelon- who knew.  Can you see it?  It is at the bottom next to the rocks.  I have no idea what variety it is, Felipe planted when we built the bed and it is huge and taking over.  I think it looks really neat with the agave I have it with and growing below the Beautyberry I must admit.  I have not been able to get a good shot of it all together though- the sun is never right and it looks really washed out.  I am still trying to get a good shot of that bed but it is filling out and looking really good.  I think the Pavonia is the happiest of all in there next to this watermelon- wonder how it will taste... and there are about 8 more in there but none quite this large yet.
Here's the Pavonia:






No comments:

Post a Comment