Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thank You Austin Herb Society


I won! I won! I won! 
My first time ever to win anything and look at the beautiful vase I won!
We recently became sponsors of the Austin Herb Society and were invited to a luncheon this past Tuesday.   I must say, I had the nicest time.  (not only because I won, though that didn't hurt).
The Austin Herb Society is a group of people in the Austin area that (quoting their pamphlet) are dedicated to educating members and the community about herbs, including propagation, landscaping, history, folklore and the culinary, medicinal and decorative uses of herbs.   They have meetings throughout the year and even have a culinary group that meets.   Once a month they have a guest speaker and I was fortunate enough to be present to hear Judy Barrett speak on "Treasuring our Heirlooms: Herbs and Beyond".  
She is a very talented and personable speaker and had me along with the crowd laughing through her stories while at the same time receiving valuable and interesting information.
After the speech we were all asked to look under our chairs to see if we had a number and I did!!!  Lucky number 7!  
I can not think of a better prize to win other than a beautiful vase to remember my experience.  I brought it back to the nursery and filled it with a few of my favorites- the Almond Verbena, Mystic Spires Salvia, Red Turks Cap (I admit the pink is my favorite but with this mix I opted for the red) and the Thyrallis.  I think they make a stunning arrangement to which I plan to keep out on display in the office.   I am already planning out my next grouping.
Thank you to all the nice people that I met that helped make it an enjoyable day. 

If you would like information on the Austin Herb Society, please visit their website at 

2 comments:

  1. What a great prize. I don't think I could live without herbs. I add them to my cooking almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I never win at raffles. That's a pretty prize too. We love growing our own herbs too. Sorry to be so late to visit. I've been bogged down with work and start of school stuff.

    ReplyDelete