Friday, March 15, 2013

Happy March GBBD 2013!!

Happy GBBD!!
It is warming up here in Austin.  It has been in the high 70's and low to mid 80's this week.  Everything is really responding to the warmer days too- things are budded up and blooming, butterflies and bees are flying around and birds are chirping- it is wonderful!!
The Gopher Plants have been a big hit with both the bees and butterflies all week.
 The Dyckia are blooming- I love how such a spiky plant throws off such a nice dainty bloom.
The Wisteria are budded up and getting ready to bloom- I LOVE the smell of Wisteria- reminds me of when I was little; we had it growing all along the fence line by the pool.
 The Mountain Laurels are still blooming, some say grape soda, I think it smells like Purple Kool-Aid, same smell I guess, I just haven't had grape soda.
 The Japanese Maples are all leafed out and stunning.
The Mexican Sycamores are budded up and ready to leaf out.
 The Bulbine have been loaded with bees all week.
And last but not least, the Mystic Spires are starting to bloom in the front bed.  A sure sign spring is here.  Please visit May Dreams Gardens and see what is blooming all over!!
Hope you have a great GBBD!!!

18 comments:

  1. I have always wanted a Gopher plant. I had no idea that the bees and butterflies enjoy them. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh- they have been all over them!!! It is great- I can't tell if it is due to the fact it is blooming and not everything is so they are going to it or if they just really like it. I have a customer that said she plants it around her veggie garden to pollinate. I just like em! Hope you had a great GBBD!

      Delete
  2. I need to add Gopher Plant to my garden as well. It seems to thrive in our heat and that's the best recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- it does well and hotter it gets happier it is it seems!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing your garden pictures! Thanks for sharing. A bit jealous. Wednesday was in the 50's but today back in the 30's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well don't get too jealous... summer for us isn't that far away - but I am enjoying these cool mornings and nice days I must admit.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous bloom day in the nursery! Great pics! My dyckia in the greenhouse is blooming too. Do you protect yours in the winter or leave them out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cover it. I have it in one of the planters and threw a blanket over it on the colder nights. The ones in pots that we sell we had in the greenhouse, they are out now and blooming away as well. It was a nice day- can you believe this weather???

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful blooms! I'm more than a bit jealous. Upper 70's to mid 80's are our usual summer highs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always want what we don't have... I would LOVE 70-80's as summer highs..... We get so incredibly hot here in the summer- I am "used" to it but it is pretty stinkin' hot. I dream of highs in the summer of 70-80's. Just can't handle the winters that go with it..... hahah

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow - wisteria and mystic spires already starting to bloom! And that luscious Texas Mountain Laurel! After seeing one in person, I vowed to have one. Then I realized that it likes alkaline soil, and unfortunately, mine is acidic. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are pretty- sadly they only bloom once a year, but when they do it is really nice. The Swallowtail have been all over it this week. Really is a pretty tree.

      Delete
  7. I love the Mountain Laurel. What a glorious colour. Gorgeous photos, especially of the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, it is still miserable and cold here. Your nursery garden is coming to life beautifully. I love the shot of the butterfly on the Mountain Laurels. It is a stunning shot.
    I come bearing good news. You are the winner of my latest book draw and I have won a copy of Unlikely Friendships. Congratulations! Can you please email me your mailing address, so I can make arrangements to get the book to you? My email is jenc_art@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw on the news this morning the snow shots- crazy!!! My niece that is going to school in Boston is miserable. She never had a "real" coat till she moved there. hahha She is adjusting but not with a smile.... haha
      Ok- I can't believe I won!!!!! I am so excited!!! I never win anything!!!! Yes- will email you right now!!!! Thank you!!!!

      Delete
  9. Happy GBBD! How lovely to see spring in your garden with snow in ours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that first photo. Beautiful aloe bloom colors and sculptural plant. You have lots of colour emerging.

    ReplyDelete